10 Indian Beaches No One’s Told You About
- JWB Post
- October 20, 2015
If you’re planning all inclusive travel to Costa Rica, stop!! Check out this oh-so-sexy list of some oh-so-sexy Indian beaches.
1. Cherai Beach, Kerala: Skip Varkala and Kovalam in Kerala and head to Cherai, just off the main Ernakulam town. Most tourists don’t know of this 15-km beach, and the few locals around give you enough space to enjoy the sands and the surf. 2. Jallandhar Beach, Diu: An unlikely name for a beach in Diu, isn’t it? This shoreline gets its name from a nearby shrine, which bears a carved face of Jallandhar, a mythical demon killed by Lord Krishna. Rest assured, this beach is free from modern-day demons, a.k.a. loud tourists and pesky kids.3. Ezhimala beach, Kerala : Situated 55-km from Kannur, Ezhimala is an important historical site, featuring prominently in the Ramayana and the Tamil Sangam period’s literature. With clear blue water as far as the eye can see, you’re likely to spot a few dolphins even from by the beach. Culture vultures may swoop upon the ancient burial chamber or the caves nearby.4. Devka Beach, Daman: With beer and freshly fried fish freely available, Devka beach is perfect if you just want to hang and catch the sunset off the rocky coastline. Navigating the waters could get a little tricky, however, when the tide rises.
- Rishikonda, Andhra Pradesh: Arguably one of the best beaches in the Vizag, Rishikonda is ideal for swimmers and water skiers alike, thanks to its calm waters and golden sands.
- Agatti, Lakshwadeep: With crystal clear water and long stretches of lagoons, Agatti is a diving and snorkelling paradise for those looking to explore what lies beneath.
- Mandvi, Gujarat:White, powdery sands and azure blue water makes this beach a winner, with its proximity to the palace of the erstwhile rulers of Kutch only adding to its charm.
8. Shiroda Beach, Maharashtra: Framed by Casuarina trees and located just off Vengurla, Shiroda Beach lets you soak up the best of the coastline, minus the crowds. Don’t expect any luxurious villas to stay in though; accommodation all around the area is fairly basic.
10. Devbagh beach, Karnataka: Sitting pretty at the confluence of the Kali River and Arabian Sea is Devbagh beach in all its beauty and serenity that once served as inspiration to Rabindranath Tagore, when he penned Prakritir Pratishodh.