CAREER CHOICE ADVICE: Eat Less, Earn More!
- JWB Post
- March 26, 2014
Many of our friends, relatives & neighbors must have given examinations. But after clearing that exam one more exam irritates them that is ‘How to choose the best career’? Jaipur Women Blog has prepared the new line of articles covering career options to help you settle your life with the best career choice. In today’s series of this rubric we introduce the vast but less known field of Nutrition & Diet.
Today people are very much concerned about what they eat/not eat which finally means how they look & conduct themselves. Be it a marriage party or a team outing, we find the all-age folk rechecking their ‘in shape’ strategy. In this scenario the role of a Nutritionist & Dietician is very appreciating.
If you’re passionate about food, eager to explore how it affects the health of the individual and the nation, and curious to discover how diet can be used in the treatment of disease you can be a Nutritionist or a Dietician.
Let’s know about many courses related to the Nutrition & Dietetics Programs.
The Nutritionist/Dietitian’s Job:
- Research the nutritive value of food
- Understand all food components
- Advise people on eating habits
- Plan diets that will improve health
There are a number of Diploma/ PG Diploma and Masters Courses offered by many Universities. One can take up these courses after completion of degree in Medicine, Home Science, General Sciences & Hotel Management.
- BSc. (Food & Nutrition)
- MSc.(Food & Nutrition)
- MSc. (Food & Fermentation Technology)
- MSc. – Home Science (Specialization in Food Science & Nutrition)
- Diploma in Dietetics & Public Health Nutrition (DDPHN)
- PG Diploma in Food & Nutrition etc.
Universities offering Courses:
- National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad.
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Technical University, Hyderabad
- Central Food Technology & Research Institute, Mysore
- University of Bombay, Mumbai
- SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
- University of Health Science, Vijaywada
- University of Mysore, Mysore
- Tamilnadu GD Naidu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- All India Institute of Hygiene & Public Health, Calcutta
- IGNOU, New Delhi
- College of Home Science, Bikaner (Raj.)
- College of Home Science, Hyderabad
- Goa College of Home Science, Goa
- Government Home Science College, Chandigarh
- Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science, Mumbai
- Banasthali University, Jaipur
The pay scale varies depending on the area of location, education and experience. For instance, a nutritionist in a small town would be paid less as compared to one working in a metro, while a dietician in a hospital may earn less than a dietician with his or her own practice.
A fresher can earn between Rs. 15,000 to 20,000 per month. After gaining a good experience, you may touch the target of Lakhs. In government hospitals, with the Sixth Pay Commission, the salaries have risen to Rs. 25,000. Nutritionists working in the private sector will have differing pay amounts. By now concern about diet & nutrition has been increased. People who relate to the media exposure i.e. Politicians, Bollywood personalities, Sports persons etc. regularly consult a Dietician & Nutritionist to maintain the presentable image in public. Thus, the salary factor in this professional is limitless.
After having a Degree or Diploma course in Nutrition & Diet you can find employment in hospitals, fitness centers, spas, health clubs, colleges, nursing care facilities, hotels, government units, etc. You can also work as a consultant or do private practice. Here are few companies in the hospitality industry hiring nutrition professionals:
- Hyatt Corporation
- Accor Hospitality
- Taj Group of Hotels
- Vatika Group
- Le Meridien
We hope this piece of information would be beneficial for you. For any kind of counseling in career you can freely send us your query & we’ll solve them with the help of experts. Also share if any particular field in career you want us to discuss in our next article.
Jaipur Women Blog wishes you to get the best of your interest!