Do You Know Tampons Can Be Fatal?
- JWB Post
- June 24, 2015
Recently model Lauren Wasser was trending on social media after she told her story of how she lost her one leg and nearly her life to toxic shock syndrome (TSS) caused by a tampon in 2012.
Now, Lauren is suing the manufacturer of Kotex Natural Balance, the brand of tampon she used. At that, she has decided to educate girls about the potential risks of using tampons.
Taking inspiration from her, JWB decided to educate all the women about TSS:
About Toxic Shock Syndrom
The infection is caused when usually harmless Staphylococcus Aureus or Streptococcus bacteria, which live on the skin, invade the bloodstream and produce dangerous toxins.
The toxin rapidly overwhelms the immune system and attacks the major organs, leading to kidney failure, collapse of the lungs and in severe cases, cardiac arrest. Alarmingly, 50% of all known cases of Toxic Shock are women using TAMPONS!
Symptoms of TSS
- Sore throat
- Aching muscles
- High temperature
- Watery diarrhea
- Red rash
- Very low blood pressure
What You Should Do
- Seek immediate medical advice from a Doctor
- Stop using tampons & Inform the doctor that you have been using them
To Reduce The Risk of TSS
- If you have ever had TSS, never use tampons again!
- Only use tampons made of organic cotton
- Avoid using tampons continuously all the time. Using sanitary pads at night can make the toxins dissipate.
- Use a pad at the end of your period
- Change tampons every 4 to 6 hours
- Don’t use tampons if you’ve had any unusual discharge
- Wash your hands before and after using and handling the tampon
Communication is Essential
- Health and safety information on leaflets should be read regularly to identify if any new, crucial information is presented.
- Young girls must discuss with their parent when they decide to use tampons.
- Let someone know that you’re using tampons, so that in case you show any symptoms, prompt actions can be taken.