QUICK SNACK & DESSERT RECIPES FOR HOLI
- JWB Post
- March 15, 2014
We have selected 2 Holi special recipes (a Snack & a Dessert) for you that are quick to make and totally mouth-watering. Moreover, these 2 are unconventional recipes that you might not have tried before!
1st RECIPE – DABELI, A MUMBAI STREET FOOD.
A) Ingredients needed for:
1. Dabeli Masala – 1 red chili, 1 tsp coriander seeds/powder, ½ inch stick of cinnamon, 2-3 cloves, ½ tsp cumin (Jeera)
2. Red garlic chutney – 1-2 red chilies, soaked in warm water for 30-40 minutes, ½ cup garlic, chopped, ½ tbsp lemon juice, Salt for taste.
3. For potato filling – 3 medium sized boiled, mashed potatoes, 1 finely chopped small onion, 2 tsp dabeli masala, a pinch of asafetida (heeng), ½ tsp cumin, 2 tbsp tamarind/dates chutney, ¼ cup grated coconut, ¼ cup pomegranate seeds (anaar), ¼ cup, chopped coriander leaves/cilantro, 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp water – optional, salt.
B) For serving: 4-5 buns or pav sliced and lightly roasted in some butter or oil, ½ cup roasted peanuts, ½ cup chopped coriander leaves, ½ cup nylon sev, ½ cup pomegranate seeds, garlic chutney as required, sweet tamarind dates chutney as required.
1. Preparing the Dabeli masala powder – Dry & roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds. Add all the ingredients in a dry grinder. Grind to a fine powder.
2. Preparing the Red Garlic chutney – Grind the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice and salt to a smooth paste. Add water if required. Preparing the Potato stuffing – Mash the boiled potatoes & keep them aside. Put some oil in the pan (karahi) & add some cumin seeds in the oil. Add chopped onion and fry the onions till they become soft. Add asafetida (hing) and fry for a minute on a low flame. Add the sweet tamarind dates chutney & mashed potatoes to the onions and mix well. Add the dabeli masala powder & salt to the mashed potatoes & cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture. Sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling & some chopped coriander on top. Now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both & keep the potato stuffing aside.
• Serving the Dabeli: Assemble all the ingredients mentioned under serving in one place. Apply the sweet chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side. Take a slice of the potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread. Add some chopped onion and coriander leaves. Top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle some dabeli masala also & top it with sev. Cover with the other slice of bread. Prepare the remaining dabeli pav in the same way and serve dabeli warm.
2nd RECIPE – STEAMED RICE CAKE STUFFED WITH COCONUT & DRY FRUITS
Ingredients: 500 gm Rice, 80 gm Grated coconut, 10 gm Cashew nut, 10 gm Pistachio, 20 gm Jaggery, 100 ml Milk, 100 gm Sugar, 5 gm Cardamom powder.
1. In a pan, melt jaggery. Then add grated coconut, pistachio, cashew nuts and mix till the jaggery is coated well on them.
2. Soak rice for 1 hour and blend into fine paste.
3. Boil milk in a pan. Add sugar and rice paste, and stir until the rice starts to coagulate.
4. Remove the rice mixture from the heat and shape them into shallow roundels.
5. Stuff mixture of jaggery, coconut and dry nut inside the rice cake and steam them for 20 minutes. Serve hot!