Tips to Eating Right for the Elderly

Tips to Eating Right for the Elderly

Aging is often associated with the appearance of chronic diseases, but this is not always the case. According to experts, it’s not at all necessary to be old to get a stroke, a heart attack, Alzheimer’s, type 2 diabetes or cancer even though these ailments are directly related to aging. The risks of disability and early aging are increased due to the lack of physical activity, genetic susceptibility, and poor nutrition.

Optimal diet

To prevent or minimize diseases associated with aging such as memory impairment, inflammation of the joints, loss of vision, it is important to include fresh fruits, legumes, vegetables in your diet. We are talking about foods that contain few calories and a lot of nutrients. According to experts, antioxidants found in legumes, vegetables, whole grains are responsible for slowing down the process of aging your body. Antioxidants along with vitamins E and C fight harmful free radicals.

What are free radicals?

Free radicals appear as a result of natural metabolism. The body produces them in response to air pollution, ultraviolet radiation, industrial smoke, and smoking. The accumulation of free radicals may lead to early aging, as well as a host of age-related diseases like cancer, inflammatory processes, and cardiovascular diseases. It is known that aging increases the production of free radicals in the body. So it’s important that you increase the number of nutrients in your daily diet as you age.

Healthy Nuts

Nuts are a great source of protein. In the research that included almost 35,000 people, it was proved that people who ate foods rich in vitamin E were able to greatly reduce the likelihood of having a stroke. Thus, you should give preference to healthy foods like walnuts, and almonds that contain a high amount of vitamin E & plenty of omega-3 fats.

About Medicare Supplement Plans for Seniors who’re 65 and above:

Medicare is a primary healthcare plan which is offered by the government to meet the health requirements of seniors in the United States. At present, Medicare covers 80 percent of the approved costs when it comes to senior healthcare. To cover the remaining 20 percent of these costs, Medigap or supplemental plans are essential, Thus, a Medigap plan helps you cover copays, coinsurance, and deductible that are not included in your Original Medicare coverage. Whether it be a supplement plan or a medicare advantage plan for 2019 at www.medicareadvantageplans2019.org you must enroll.